Our local grocery store had 10lb bags of carrots for $1.99. When I happened upon them, I had no idea what I would do with 10lbs of carrots before they went bad but I knew I had to buy a bag because it was such an amazing deal. I have a juicer, so juicing carrots was definitely on the agenda, and with the pulp from the juiced carrots I made a batch of veggie lox and these carrot cake cupcakes. They were good! They don’t replace a regular cupcake, but they are a nice, healthy treat. I really liked the cream cheeze frosting.
Raw Carrot Cake Cupcakes with Cream Cheeze Frosting
1 cup walnuts
1 cup pitted dates
2 cups carrot pulp
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
Pinch ground cloves
1/8 tsp sea salt
3/4 cup raisins
1 cup cashews, soaked at least 1 hour
5 pitted Medjool dates, soaked at least 1 hour, water reserved (or to taste)
Pinch sea salt
1 tsp lemon juice
1. In a food processor, pulse the walnuts and dates until the form a uniform paste.
2. Add in the carrots and spices and process until it becomes a smooth dough.
3. Add raisins and pulse to combine, but do not overmix because you want chunky raisins in the dough.
4. Push the batter into muffin tins. Refrigerate for at least an hour.
5. Create your frosting: Wipe your food processor clean and then add your soaked and rinsed cashews. Pulse until completely smooth and creamy. Add the lemon juice and slowly add the reserved date soaking liquid until you achieve the consistency you desire.
6. Frost your cupcakes prior to serving.