MoFo DISASTER! Our oven broke and much of what we had planned was baked or roasted or otherwise needing the oven! Our landlords aren’t the most prompt folks ever, so I guess we just stay tuned until it gets fixed/replaced/whatever. For now, it’s quiz time! These always float around every MoFo and I find them interesting. I hope you do, too.
1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
Natur-a organic soy. It’s so creamy and delicious. I like the strawberry and chocolate varieties for a quick “milkshake”, too.
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook
I assume this was meant to be answered at the beginning of MoFo, but I’ll answer now with what we’ve got planned for the rest. We are going to be making Hungarian crepes called palacsinta, smoky maple sausages, and talking about the art of Big Salads.
3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
I’m not terribly in love with popcorn, but when I do eat it, I like nutritional yeast, smoked paprika, salt and pepper.
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
I was making the Spanakopita from Vegan with a Vengeance which is this really labour-intensive recipe. I had made all the filling and the last step was putting in the nutmeg. The lid opened up on my nutmeg and probably 1/2 cup fell into the bowl with the filling. I tried scooping as much of it out as I could (it was only supposed to have a pinch!) but it was still super nutmeggy. To this day, I can’t stand the smell or taste of nutmeg.
5. Favorite pickled item?
I love pickled things! Regular ol’ cucumber pickles are great, but I also like pickled peppers, mushrooms, cauliflower, carrots. I also like Indian pickle as well, which is usually pickled lime.
6. How do you organize your recipes?
Ha! “Organize”. I have some in a special folder in my email; that was my system before I discovered Evernote which easily clips recipes for me without me having to email them to myself. I also have a ton bookmarked in my browser. AND I have some organized on my desktop. AND some printed out. AND in recipe books, of course. I know where to find each recipe, but I still don’t think my system really counts as organized.
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
Recycle and garbage. We live in an apartment and tried balcony vermicomposting one summer; it was a smelly and liquidy adventure. The city we live in unfortunately doesn’t have a composting program yet. Sometimes scraps go out to the squirrels, though.
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)?
Marmite with toast, peanut butter, mac and cheese.
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
Even though our MoFo has been centered around the Hungarian influence of my maternal grandmother on my cooking, I have to say that my most fond memory of food when I was young was in my paternal grandmother’s kitchen. She was a very 50’s housewife-style cook, lots of jello molds and such. But she made me feel very special, I had my own apron I was able to wear and she would let me help and I’d feel like a “big girl”.
10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
Purely Decadent peanut butter zigzag. That stuff is like crack.
11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
My “borrowed” Cuisinart food processor from my mother-in-law. It’s so awesome!
12. Spice/herb you would die without?
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
“How It All Vegan” by Sarah Kramer and Tanya Barnard.
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
Raspberry or my fresh strawberry freezer jam.
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
Some sort of fancy chocolate cake with a couple different buttercreams.
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
I like to cook in the evenings. I love baking in my pajamas at night.
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
A juicer, crockpot, roll of paper towels and Trevor’s coffee bodum.
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
Seitan loaf, lulo pulp, orange juice cans
20. What’s on your grocery list?
We just went shopping yesterday, so nothing, really.
21. Favorite grocery store?
Whole Foods in Yorkville, Toronto, Ontario.
22. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet.
Ice cream. Yeah, you can buy vegan ice cream easily, but I’d like to be able to make my own flavour combos. I need an ice cream maker but I don’t have the room for it in our closet-sized kitchen.
23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa’s because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
Refer to the right side for the blogs I read on the regular! I can’t limit it to just 3.
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
Go Max Go’s Twilight bar.
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?
2 packs of Dandie’s marshmallow, to just eat and to have in hot cocoa.
26. Favorite pumpkin thing to eat?