Tonight I threw together a really simple dinner while Crystal was busy doing Zumba. This was a pesto gnocchi with brussels sprouts and artichokes. It tastes like WOW and took maybe 30 minutes to make.
Here is what I did:
1. Steam some frozen Brussels sprouts using a steaming apparatus and a pot of water, while preparing the pesto. We like frozen sprouts better than fresh – they tend to cook quicker and are more tender.
2. Make the pesto. Combine 1/3 cup of pine nuts, 3 cloves of garlic, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/4 cup of olive oil and a whole bunch of basil in the food processor. Mix it all up until it looks like pesto. Now you’ve got pesto!
3. Chuck a package of store-bought gnocchi into the water you used to steam the sprouts (the water is probably green). Cook according to the directions (which will tell you to boil the gnocchi and then drain it, basically).
4. While the gnocchi are doing their thing, chop all the Brussels sprouts in half, and put them in a skillet with some oil and about 4 artichoke hearts (also cut in half). Sprinkle with a little white wine vinegar, salt and pepper and maybe some red-pepper flakes (just a tiny bit!) as they fry. Cook until your desired “cooked-ness” (I like to get mine rather browned).
5. Drain the gnocchi and put it back in the pot. Add the pesto and stir it around. Portion it onto plates. Spoon some of the sprouts and artichokes over top.
Good job, friends. Enjoy.